Thursday, 20 March 2014

Disney Overalls and Something about Gender



Hallo!


My name is Katie Buddle (pronounced 'cuddle' with a b) and I will be your blog for today. Nice to meet you. I have been coerced into blogging by the wonderful Annika Victoria, and in a similar vein I am going to take you on a journey through time and space, the endless possibilities of the universe and the marvels of science.


1. Disney overalls from Cream 
2. Thrifted T-shirt
3. Dark Blue Dr Marten boots, that my old flatmate left in my apartment. Thanks!
4. Choker necklace from my friend, Lilianne.


Just kidding. I'm probably just going to post pictures of myself wearing ridiculous outfits, like these super cool Winnie the Pooh overalls. For now. There are a few things I want to chat about, concerning Anthropology, Gender issues and more- but we'll get there. Slow and steady. I am interested in the way that we present ourselves, aesthetically and conceptually, to the world, and where identity comes from. I think that we continually produce and reproduce ideas about ourselves existing in the world through cultural and social forces, and I am interested in the way that we represent these ideas in simple day to day ways. 




...Like wearing overalls? I don't know. What I wear speaks volumes of not only the choices that I make in creating my identity, but of the world I exist in that allows me to make these choices, and the value that I put on them. It's a matter of class, race, gender, performativity, global villages, modernity... Yeah. So I'l get to that. Maybe. Kind of. In a round-a-bout kind of way. 

Ahem.

                                             
                                           
Anyway, in true Anthropologist style I have awkwardly blurted out ideas about the world before I've properly introduced myself or at least made you a cup of tea. So hallo again. I am Katie, a twenty-something-hypermobile-frizzy-red-headed-university-student-waitress-aspiring-writer-or-something from Sydney, Australia. I am learning the piccolo flute, I kind of sing and play guitar, I am prone to midnight baking and I am a firm believer that there is no mess made that can't be fixed by creatively draping colourful fabric (my house-mates disagree). Sometimes I find party poppers in my pocket and sometimes I feel really good about myself after riding up a moderately sized hill on my fixed-gear red bike. Oh yeah, and I'm a massive hipster.



These are my real glasses, they are prescription and I really should wear them more. I bought the frames online when I was 16 and read a lot of Allen Ginsberg and so followed the inevitable drift towards hipster-dom.




Like I mentioned before, I am hypermobile. Basically that just means I am a flexi-freak and can do things like bend over backwards on a whim and can turn my feet almost 360 degrees around. I'm obviously sticking to only the most important facts here. The more you know.


My biggest claim to fame is really my friendship with the girl who made the Pineneedle Collective. We're not just fair-weather friends and I'm not just name-dropping. We're like legit in the same close-knit group of friends. We send each other on average on thousand emoji a week and I'm meeting her at the pub in about an hour. So yeah. Get jealous. She's awesome!



Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.Hehehe. Hohoho.

And so concludes my first post. Sorry for the jumbled kinda jumbliness. Hopefully this will go somewhere and I will chat a bit about things that are interesting. I am going to let my favourite queer/feminist theorist/ philosopher Judith Butler take over for me. This is one of my favourite explanations of how we present ourselves, in this case how we do gender.




See you later alligator! 





11 comments:

  1. This is so lovely Katie, can't wait to see more! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna follow you in a sec - I love your style (overalls are so cute) and I love the fact that you seem like a really interesting person who's actually putting some intelligent words in the posts (and it's not that common :P). Good luck with blogging!

    my weirdoland&art - pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That really means a lot and I'm glad you found anything I have to say interesting and not just like a bowl of fruit loops. You're too kind! X

      Delete
  3. Annika did a good job in luring you into blogging! I like your writing so I hope to read more of you soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievably cute overalls! It's not often you get to see Ginsberg and Winnie The Pooh in the same blog post ;) pretty awesome haha

    Natalie | Broke Student Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to come check out your blog after seeing Annika post about you! I'm really looking forward to reading some awesome anthropological words from you (as well as seeing some awesome outfits). I have an anthropology minor and will always have a soft spot in my heart for the study. It's fascinating! All aspects of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with your hair ♥♥♥♥ :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those overalls are so cute (love the pooh applique!)! :3 I've recently just started a blog too, we can be newbie bloggers together! ha :D

    http://beetitiwhy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg the overalls are the cutest ever! I love your style and hair :D

    www.violetdaffodils.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete