Saturday, 26 April 2014

Fashion Revolution Day and The Girl Effect


Hallo again!

So first I am going to apologize for my rather infrequent blog posts. I have found myself very busy with university, volunteering and day-to-day adventures and I have been finding it very hard to squeeze in the time. I also struggle with an anxiety disorder which means that a lot of the time I just can't bring myself to do things, even if I genuinely love them. So thank you for being patient!

 I am amazed by the reaction my posts have gotten though, particularly my last post. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and to comment, it has been an incredibly uplifting process. I feel like I am on the most amazing roller-coaster recently. Along with this blog and my Gender/ Anthropology degree, I have also been volunteering with The Trading Circle, a not-for-profit organisation that aims to trade women out of poverty with dignity and respect by providing sustainable, fair work. We have women working for us all over the world who make the most amazing clothes, fashion accessories, home-wares, toys and more. By focusing on women (92% of our producers are women), we are focusing on the majority of people living in poverty; at current, the accepted percentage of women making up those in poverty stands at 70%. Even if this statistic is dated (I'm not sure if there has been a major review since the 90's), the gendering of poverty is evident in the work and education gaps between men and women around the world and the make-up of those who are working in unnacceptable conditions such as sweat-shop labour. At current I believe the working figures show that around 85% of workers in sweat-shops are women. 

So as you may have figured, today I want to talk to you about ethical fashion choices, the power of fair-trade and women living in poverty. All of the clothes I am wearing in this post (like all my posts) are either thrifted, gifted, hand-me-downs or ethically made. 



So as many of you may know, last Thursday was the first ever Fashion Revolution Day. One year after the collapse of The Rana Plaza in Bangladesh killed over 1100 people, the date will now be perpetuated as an ongoing fight for the fair and reliable treatment and pay of those working to manufacture all manner of clothing and fashion accessories. I really wanted to make a post about this on the day, so I could be as topical as I could possibly be. When I didn't find the time, my initial thought was "well, I missed the boat here". I quickly realized just how ridiculous that was. Fashion Revolution Day should exist not only as an annual event but should carry over into our everyday consciousness. A day, international media attention and a #hashtag is a fantastic beginning (if this is the start of your fair-trade fashion journey), but the choice to buy clothes which are fair-trade or thrifted should be one that we attempt to make #permanently

My bag is from Cambridge and Co and my rain boots are PipDuck- I have some questions about PipDuck below.

Note my use of the word "attempt". I am going to be the first to admit that this can be easier said than done, even for the most conscientious buyer (also-cheap, ethical underwear? I have taken to either going without in protest/pure comfort/style or to continuously borrow my boyfriends' boxers until I finally deal with the contents of my own laundry basket, which probably has its own postcode). At current, the legislation and regulation that exists within the clothing and fashion industry can act to limit our access to the information we require in order to ascertain whether a company is ethical or not. Par example, I have just tried and failed to find out how my PipDuck rain boots (that my mummy gave me) were made. The most I have found is one article claiming that they are Australian made, but I am so far mostly unsatisfied. If anyone has done a little more thorough research or just has an excellent knowledge of the rain boot manufacturing industry, please leave me a comment to highlight my inadequate google-ing. 


I found this dress at a charity shop somewhere last year, and this petticoat at an awesome retro second-hand shop.

It is evident to me that the unethical process of manufacturing in much of the fashion industry is not solely an issue of developed/developing world equality issues. It is a clear example of how intersectionality comes into play in all facets of power divides and social hierarchies. By intersectionality I mean the crossover of issues of race, class, gender, sexuality and other compartmentalising structures that exist to create boundaries and categories that limit the space of most, and augment the space of some. What I mean to say is that these (arguably fictional) categories act to maintain the power of those who fit some or most of these categories: white, heterosexual, educated,money-making, male. It may seem like I'm steering away from my point here, so let me backtrack. Around the world, there is a serious accessibility issue here, and right now I am going to focus on how this is a gendered issue

When most people living in poverty are identified as women, we have to ask why this is. 
Women statistically have less access to education, medical attention, fair pay and safe working environments around the world. This is largely down to the same boundaries I highlighted earlier, which to some extent act to keep women in their supposed place. Women make up most of the sweat-shop labour demographic, and this is largely because making clothes is simply seen as a women's job, or at least a job that is available to those with less education- again, statistically, largely women. Women in poverty are performing tasks that no one else will do, making things that the Western buyer kind of half believe appeared out of thin air with a "Made in China" stamp. And so many of these workers are not being paid a living wage- ie, enough to sustain life. 


There are ways that over time, we can work to reverse these systems of oppression. One of the most accessible and simple ways to do this is to change your wardrobe. Buy thrifted or fairtrade items. My good friend Annika from The Pineneedle Collective has already put together a fantastic Ethical Fashion Directory that has some wonderful and affordable brands in it. 

Overall, there needs to be huge systemic and cultural change. Because women and girls are at the bottom of  so many social hierarchies, massive change could result from switching patterns and making detours before the same old structures are continuously built. The Girl Effect argues that this change can come about from a 12 year old girl. Let me leave you with this video of theirs below. Watch it.

                                                                Give to The Girl Effect!

Thanks for reading guys! Please feel free to comment, I love to read and respond to everything you say. You're all really clever and awesome and funny and I think we should all be friends. Or at least follow each other on Instagram (I only got Instagram about a month ago and I'm already hooked). Find me by clicking this link: click!me!yay!pics!

All my love, Katie
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I don't mind the infrequency of your posts! It's the content that matters the most to me ;)
    I particularly find it very hard to keep my wardrobe 'ethical'. But since I started making my own clothes, it dawned on me how much time and effort goes into it! Cheap clothes don't exist. You're just making someone else pay the price.
    But I try my best to keep my food as fair trade and as meat-free as possible! At least I've got that going for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yeah I totally agree, that's why most of my clothes are thrifted or hand me downs. DIYing is something I have really wanted to get into soon- so far it has been a matter of time and the fact that I only have half a sewing machine. I was literally just having this conversation with Annika on the train though, and I'm either going to start using hers or try and source a cheap one. I also am meat free most of the time- ethical meat is often expensive and I can't afford it. My dad goes out to an organic farm with grass fed cows for his beef, so if I need an iron fix I just go visit him for the weekend. Thanks for reading my blog, and for commenting, and for not minding my infrequency! Xxxx

      Delete
  2. This is lovely Katie! So eloquently stated. I completely agree. I'm in the same boat as you with wanting to only wear thrifted, hand made and fair trade clothing. The last clothing store I worked at only sold ethically made garments. It was such a positive environment to work in, knowing the positive stories behind the brands I was selling put me at ease.
    And the infrequency of your posts does not matter at all as each post you make it so carefully thought out and intelligently written! :)
    Love, Drini xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have that dress!! Whaaaaaaatt!! I loved it so much but then my boobs got too big for it hahah. Love that ethically made clothing is getting more attention now. There's a really good documentary called Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts that really opened my eyes to this whole thing.

    Kirsten | kirstenlearns.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Illuminati is a defunct secret society formed by a fervent Academic, Adam Weishaupt in Balvaria, 1776. The cult as its name suggests, was a group of intellectuals who came together to instill discipline in themselves, infiltrate government agencies, and create a new world order. However, the original illuminati was disbanded by the government of Bulgaria, when all secret societies were banned, though even before then, strong internal problems were already leading the illuminati cult to termination. That was the 18th century Illuminati. The 21st and 20th centuries also have an illuminati sect which in words you are more likely to understand, is supposed to sign you up , pull you into their chain of command, give you enlightenment, and then, power, as you’ll be playing sinewy roles in the government. This article tries to bring to light, facts about the modern illuminati, and also helps the reader to join, and utilize the opportunities availed by the sect, which are enlightenment, enrichment, and empowerment.
    The illuminati make people rich, famous and astoundingly powerful. The illuminati, which means enlightenment, purges your mind of all vestiges of ignorance, backwardness and naivety. It brings you out of the delusions and illusions which you’ve been subjected to by your numerous religious escapades, and when you are relieved of these non-propitious encumbrances, success becomes inevitable. Knowing that many of us do not understand the illuminati as it is, I’ll go ahead to expound on this wonderful phenomenon and am hoping that by the time you get to the last paragraph of this article, you would be on your way to becoming “illuminated”. It would do the reader good to note that the Illuminati of the 18th century is not the same with the modern illuminati. The former was a cult, while the latter is a consciousness. IF YOU WANT TO BE OUR MEMBER YOU CAN CONTACT US WITH THIS EMAIL: oyeyetemple@gmail.com or call +2348115531558

    ReplyDelete