Saturday, 30 August 2014

New Happy House/ The End of Winter



Hallo there!


So I have just moved to the most wonderful house. It is huge, light and has a super huge front and back garden featuring an avocado tree, a mango tree, a macadamia nut tree, a mandarin tree, a nectarine tree, a jacaranda tree and heaps of spinach, parsley and rosemary. My old apartment was basically a shed, with no balcony and about three powerpoints in the whole place. This new house has like, floorboards. And chandeliers. And a dishwasher! AND A GARAGE.

WHAT.



The most wonderful thing about moving to my new house is realising just how much your surroundings affect your mood. I have been much more relaxed and happy (albeit exhausted from lifting all the things) since moving here. My room has its own balcony access, and being able to just make a cup of tea and sit in the sun and look at the garden has lifted my spirits. It's also the end of Winter here in Australia, so the sun has been making an appearance! It's like I have a new lease on life. I even brushed my hair today.


Yesterday Annika was feeling pretty blue, so my house mates and I drove over to pick her up and she's been living here ever since. Last night we had a slumber party- well sort of, she doesn't like snuggling, she goes to bed early and wakes up early and grumpy and hates all kinds of morning light, where as I like to throw my body on whoever/ whatever is closest as I sleep, stay up late, and love to wake up with bright sunlight. I pretty much love Annika when she is grumpy though, and she wasn't grumpy for long after we took the opportunity to dress like spring babes to celebrate the end of Winter!


These photos were taken when we were locked out of my house because I forgot to bring my keys when we left for breakfast this morning. Having to wait an hour in the sun sitting on my front lawn was hardly a bad thing though, and overall the experience has brightened my already pretty damn bright day. Seriously, there should be a law against being this relaxed and happy.

Now about my clothes! My dress is thrifted, as this lovely silk shirt I found. I love the detail on the breast pocket, and the silk feels so beautiful. My tights are from Annika's shop, and my socks... umm I accidentally stole them from a department store once. It was a large chain shop, with unethical processes of production... so I don't feel too bad. Don't steal though kids! But if you accidentally steal from an evil super-capitalist chain, well, I'm not going to judge you. 



This brooch is from Hungry Designs, and it's the cutest thing in the world. My necklace is an antique from the 1920's, and I found it in Helsinki recently on my travels. The little 'E' on my necklace is silver with amber, and I bought it at a sea-side market in Helsinki. It stands for 'Elsher', who is an important and beautiful and fantastic super close friend of mine. It was her birthday while I was away, so I bought her a little 'K', and I've been wearing the little 'E'. 


My earrings I bought at a fair recently where I was running a stall for work. I am super into creepy baby-themed pieces lately, as a kind of last-ditch attempt at subverting the dominant something-or-rather. I just bought a whole heaps of cupie-doll heads and I'm going to start making them into earrings and selling them- if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll speed up the process.


The sun is starting to set now and I am sleepy but still incredibly happy. It's amazing how much your environment effects your mood. My psychologist has always been urging me to go spend more time in the sun, but in my old apartment that was just tricky to do and I found myself just staying inside feeling sorry for myself. Now I'm riding my bike, I'm going for walks and feeling generally motivated! 

It's lovely!


So if you get a chance to spend more time outside this week, join me in my new-found ridiculous happiness. Try getting yourself locked outside or something. Works every time!

Hope you're all having a great week!

Love,
Katie xxxooo 

12 comments:

  1. New house sounds like it has an AMAZING garden. I agree - your house can affect your mood. I lived in a tiny dark terrace last year and decided to move 20 minutes out of the city to the beach with lots of space and room for a dog! Mental health is so much better because of it :)
    Loving the outfits too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I lived in a dark little terrace last year as well! It was so cute on the outside too- it was bright pink with a frangipani tree. But I had this tiny little shoebox of a room and it was dark and horrible on the inside. I also shared a backyard with a bunch of jocks who had endless bizarre 3-am hazing ceremonies involving naked butt slapping right outside my window. Overall, not amazing.

      I'm glad you have a new place, it sounds amazing! I have room for a bunny... now its time to finish convincing my housemates that we need one. Hmm.

      Have a lovely day Laura! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, that house sounds awesome. I have wanted my entire life to have a place with a balcony. It is legit and obsession, but still nothing. Your place just sounds so brilliant, and the garden especially. I love how cute and cheery you look in these photos. Sounds like being locked out wasn't such a bad thing after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new place sounds wonderful. Having an outdoor space makes such a difference. I really think sunshine is good for the soul, let alone the benefits of Vitamin D to your body and calcium uptake. So much lovelinessx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new house sounds amazing, a macadamia tree! OMG!

    You're so right that surroundings really impact your mood. I recently moved rooms in my house to one where the sunlight comes through the window and wakes me up with a view of our garden & the historical houses over the road and, ahhh...It's bliss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived in Australia I would become your friend just to eat all the goodies on your trees! lol They house looks AMAZING! (or rather the yard!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. !!! your brooch is a guinea pig! I love guinea pigs :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you're feeling better :) I'm so low atm but hopefully the drs will sort me out with something soon. I've just moved back to uni as well and it's lovely and sunny too. Need to get down to the beach and let all my worries go! I am also a snuggley sleeper, I totally snuggle up to all my friends all the time! I'm sure it bugs them :P and I'm pretty bright in the morning which also annoys my grumpy housemates haha! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey beautiful :-) sorry to hear things are hard for you right now. I hope things start to look up for you soon- yep I highly recommend a beach day! You deserve it. I know it's hard but you're already on your way by being open about it xxxx love, Katie :-)

      Delete
  8. You look so adorable! I especially love all your accessories. Your new place sounds incredible. I find myself sitting in my dark apartment feeling sorry for myself all the time too. Its hard to be outside and find privacy nearby for me, but I definitely need to make the effort as well. I'm so happy that things are looking so bright for you <3

    ReplyDelete