Monday, 3 November 2014

A Babin' Buddle Birthday


Hallo!

So it has been over a month since I've posted, and I have really really wanted to do a post and even have a few in the works but this has been one full on month. Between finishing off university for the year, changing jobs and chest infections I have hardly had the time to change my socks or wash my hair let alone write up a blog post or like, brush my teeth.

On the upside, I managed to pull myself together for long enough to have a 21st birthday party! And why not return to the blogging world to celebrate, and to share with you guys some of my favourite snaps from the night. No gender theory or poetry or anthropology here, just a bunch of feminists partying down.

Party Party.


Here are two wonderful feminist friends having a wonderful feminist moment. They laughed, they cried, they accepted that gender and sex are fluid concepts and that intersectional feminism is where it's at.



This beautiful woman right here is my mother, Joanne. She is the strongest and kindest person I know, and I believe a lot of my feminism was born out of being raised on a hard diet of Tori Amos. Thank you Mama Bear, for letting me play Blood Roses during pass the parcel when I was 5 (to the shock horror of most parents), for encouraging me to be creative and think critically, for spending hours upon hours brushing my hair and for being there for me through some of the best and the hardest times of my life so far. You are my best friend and inspiration.


This is Annika taking responsibility as one of the more sobre guests at my party and lighting the candles on my cake without setting my hair on fire.


This is me not setting my hair on fire. Yay!


At some point in the night I found glitter, and decided that I needed to put.it.everywhere.on. my.body.right.now, turning me into a pixie dream girl (but not the ever-dreaded anti-feminist trope Manic Pixie Dream Girl!

Annika opted for a more controlled (sobre) valfre-style approach to glitter:



There was so much glitter on me that I was basically glowing in the dark. At some point in the night I also changed into my new mystical witchy dress made for me by the beautiful Manaka from Manaka Handmade.


I didn't really get many flattering photos of me wearing it though, mainly ones where I look either really frightened or I don't even know what I'm doing in the picture below. These are two of my bestest buds, Elsher and Rosie. Rosie baked up a storm for my party, and Elsher spent hours upon hours (upon months?) putting together the most beautiful and hilarious and best collaborative video of all of my friends and family dancing along and being ridiculous. These two wonderful women have their eyes on starting an exciting baking blog in the future, so stay tuned for exciting news on that front!


Reaaaaaallly don't know what I'm doing with my face.


Last but definitely not least, here is the (super) man responsible for taking all these pictures! His name is William, and he has been one of my best friends since I was about 12. And yeah, he's a feminist too.

So that about does it! I had a super great time and feel a little wiser now that I'm older. 
That is entirely a lie; I still didn't have the wisdom to call in sick to work the next morning, and turned up late, hungover and covered (like, covered) in glitter. But knowing that when I clocked off I was returning to piles of party debris and a house full of my best friends to help me clean it up made my day a lot brighter.

Cue cheesy music? Ew ew ew.

Love to you all!

Katie xxx



      

7 comments:

  1. I linked to you in a recent blog post because you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! :< Good thing you're doing better. Looks like you had a really fun party; and hooray for no hair burning! Hahah
    I feel so awkward when taking photos with people sometimes, but you look real cute. c:

    P.S: I recently found a pebble in my hair and it reminded me of you. lol<3


    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahaha! My boyfriend was wondering why I was laughing so much, and it was because of your comment about the pebble. So far I have found: steel wool, tweezers, dries flowers and hair clips long forgotten. I'm glad you thought of me ;-)

      You're the cutest though! You always look beautiful. Thanks for dropping by, always love hearing from you girl!

      Xxx

      Delete
  3. This morning I was made french toast, but this blog post made me even happier than that! Thank you for sharing such an awesome night! You are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way- french toast is so much better than this post! So glad you are happy though, lovely. You are great too! xxx

      Delete